Monday, May 23, 2011

My Cleverley Cordovan Shoes in Progress

My personal last sitting on top of the fitting sketch.

George from Cleverley sent me these snapshots of my cordovan shoes in progress.

I'm both excited and nervous about having them finished. The design process is a lot like making a photograph - technically, it's not that difficult - however, does the finished image/product convey what you originally envisioned?

I want these shoes to look great with grey flannels but also dark navy denim. The more I think about it, the success will lie in the sole of the shoe (wow, that's kind of a play on words). If the sole is too thin and refined it will miss the ruggedness that is a hallmark of cordovan. If the sole is too thick and clunky (which is currently the trend) it will miss the whole reason for creating my own vision. Even though the process is more than halfway done, it seems the most tricky decisions are yet to be made.

I'll keep you posted.

The cordovan leather specially ordered for this pair of shoes. I was nervous about finding the perfect color, but we were able to nail it.

No comments:

Post a Comment